Boston Explorers: By the Numbers
SEE how Boston Explorers has grown since our pilot year in 2011 and LEARN ABOUT our plans for expansion. See the direct impact your support has on campers.
Boston Explorers strives to be a place where all children—regardless of zip code—have full access to the cultural, civic, economic, and educational life of the city. Boston Explorers promotes this by fostering children’s mastery, autonomy, and social connectedness.
For urban youth to explore Boston, inspire one another, and engage their curiosity.
THE FOUR THINGS WE DO EVERY DAY
- We make things with our hands
- We explore all over Boston
- We have fun
- We are kind to everyone
- Rowing on Boston Harbor
- Camping on Harbor Islands
- Vigorous daily exercise: walking, biking, swimming, hiking
- Electronic-free camp environment
- Healthy meals & nutritional awareness
- Daily opportunities for child-driven free play & exploration
Why Boston Explorers is Vital
- Restores hands-on, sensory based, experiential learning missing in many schools today
- Engages campers in creative exploration and meaningful work with their hands
- Addresses the “opportunity gap” between children who have access to a range of resources and institutions and those that do not
- Open to all children, regardless of family finances
- Exposes children to the city gives them a greater shot at becoming active citizens—to participate in the many aspects of civic life.
- Boston is best served when all children have access to its rich natural and physical resources.
- Boston belongs to all children, not only those with means or those visiting as tourists.
Problem: Children do not want to leave Boston Explorers at age 16 (A good problem to have!)
Solution: Create a teen program (Citizen Explorers) in Summer 2016 for 16- to 18-year-olds
- Stipended leadership-in-training modules
- Job shadowing and internships
- Community service and civic engagement with social justice focus
- College visits
- Financial literacy
Help make Citizen Explorers, our new program, and much more possible.